Butter bean and kale pistou
Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Soy Free
Creamy butter beans and fregola, the toasted pasta, play starring roles in our hearty main-dish soup. But our pistou takes top billing. Originally from the South of France, and closely related to pesto, the basil-garlic sauce is traditionally pounded by hand in a mortar and pestle. We make it for you, so all you have to do is swirl it in.
- 1 to 2 shallots
- ¾ cup fregola
- 1 to 2 celery ribs
- Peeled fresh garlic
- ½ bunch kale
- 1 lemon
- 1½ cups butter beans
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- Pistou (basil - canola olive oil blend - fresh garlic - walnuts - salt)
Cook the fregola
- Peel and finely chop the shallot.
Pour in 1½ cups water. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the fregola is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed, 12 to 15 minutes. While the fregola cooks, make the soup.
Prep the soup ingredients
- Coarsely chop the celery.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- With a peeler, remove a long strip of zest from the lemon; cut the lemon into wedges.
- Rinse the butter beans.
- Strip the parsley leaves from their stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Start the soup
Finish the soup
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 700, Protein: 19 g, Total Fat: 30 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 90 g, Fiber: 18 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 740 mg
Contains: wheat, tree nuts