Calabrian wedding soup
The marriage celebrated by this traditional Italian soup is the one between the meatballs and the greens. In Calabria, the meatballs are often made with beef and pork, Chef Justine makes hers with low-fat turkey seasoned with garlic, oregano, and paprika.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- 2 ribs celery
- 1-2 cloves garlic
- Flat leaf parsley
- Small bunch kale
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- ¼-cup breadcrumb mixture (plain bread crumbs-grated parmesan cheese)
- 1 egg
- 2 teaspoons meatball spice blend (garlic-oregano-sweet paprika)
- ½ cup orzo
- 1 cup chicken stock
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and thinly chop the onion.
- Peel and coarsely chop the carrot.
- Coarsely chop the celery.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Strip the leaves from the parsley stems and coarsely chop the leaves.
- Strip the leaves from the kale stems and chop the leaves into ½-inch thick strips.
Saute the vegetables
Make the meatballs
Finish the soup
Add the meatballs and the kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook until the meatballs are cooked through and the kale is tender, 6 to 8 minutes.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 670, Protein: 53 g, Total Fat: 23 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol 145 mg, Carbohydrates: 65 g, Fiber 8 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 700 mg