Chicken tikka masala with basmati rice and naan
35 – 45 Minutes
In this family favorite, chicken is marinated in a masala-spiced yogurt sauce, then simmered in tomatoes and coconut milk and ladled over steamed rice.
- 1 cup basmati rice
- 1¼ pounds boneless skinless chicken breast strips
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 2 lemons
- ¼ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 yellow onion
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 tablespoons unsalted butter (optional)
- Masala spice blend (coriander - cumin - cardamom - garam masala - sweet paprika - nutmeg)
- ½ teaspoon cayenne (optional)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- 3 ounces baby spinach
- 2 naan
Rinsing rice removes surface starches that cause clumping. You can give it a quick rinse in a fine-mesh strainer under cold running water, or you can put it in a small bowl, cover it with cold water, swish a few times, drain, and repeat until the water runs clear.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
Marinate the chicken
- Cut a small corner from the chicken packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1½ teaspoons.
- Juice 1 lemon.
- Cut the other lemon into wedges for serving.
Prep the ingredients
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Cook the chicken
Make the sauce; toast the naan
When the chicken is almost done, on the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying or grill pan over medium heat, warm the naan until lightly toasted, about 30 seconds per side. Alternatively, toast it in a toaster.
Tear the naan into four pieces.
- Rinse the rice.
- Measure out the garlic and ginger.
- Juice the lemon.
- Tear the naan into pieces.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 43g (86% DV), Fiber: 5g (20% DV), Total Fat: 21g (32% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 450mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 72g (24% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: milk, wheat