Cuban shrimp mojo tostadas with red cabbage slaw
Paleo Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Easy to make, these family-friendly open-faced tacos are like ones you’d enjoy in a small restaurant out of someone’s home in Havana.
- 1 pound shrimp
- Sun Basket mojo marinade (lime juice - orange juice - olive oil - yellow onion - fresh garlic - dried Mexican oregano - Aleppo chile - salt - cumin)
- 6 ounces red cabbage
- 1 shallot
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 2 limes
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces shredded carrots
- 12 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 dried bay leaf
- ¾ cup cooked black beans
Be sure to wash the cutting board (and your hands) after handling shrimp or other proteins before prepping vegetables or other ingredients on the same surface.
Marinate the shrimp
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry. Cut the shrimp in half crosswise or into chunks.
- Divide the mojo marinade into two equal portions, one for the marinade and one for the sauce.
While the shrimp marinate, prepare the slaw.
Make the red cabbage slaw
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallot.
- Juice 1 lime.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Cut the remaining lime into wedges for garnish.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
Crisp the tortillas
Cook the shrimp
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper. Thinly slice the pepper lengthwise, then cut the slices in half crosswise.
- Rinse the black beans.
Make the sauce; warm the black beans
Add the black beans to the pan with the remaining sauce and cook until warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes.
- Juice the lime.
- Make the slaw.
- Set the table.
- Serve the meal.
- Help clean up.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 28g (56% DV), Fiber: 12g (48% DV), Total Fat: 32g (49% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 170mg (57% DV), Sodium: 580mg (24% DV), Carbohydrates: 56g (19% DV), Total Sugars: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 470, Protein: 24g (48% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 30g (46% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 22g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 170mg (57% DV), Sodium: 560mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 20g (7% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV).