Fish tacos with avocado and Baja cucumber salad
Gluten Free, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Fish tacos are to Southern Californian surf culture what hot dogs are to baseball—and often just as indulgent. For this nourishing feast, we sauté sole fillets, then pile them high with all manner of fixings, including a bright yogurt sauce. Serving the components as a DIY taco bar gets the whole family involved and makes a simple weeknight dinner feel like a party.
- 1 wedge Savoy cabbage
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- Fresh mint
- 2 limes
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 English cucumber
- Cucumber salad spice blend (sumac - chili powder - granulated garlic)
- 10 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- Three 5-ounce sole fillets
- 1 avocado
- Fresh cilantro
- ¼ cup roasted pumpkin seeds
Start prepping the garnishes; make the yogurt sauce
- Cut away any core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage. Set aside for garnish.
- Trim the ends from the radishes; cut the radishes in half, then thinly slice crosswise. Set aside for garnish.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; finely chop the leaves.
- Zest the limes; cut 1 lime into wedges and set aside for garnish.
- Juice the remaining lime (the juice will be divided between the yogurt sauce and the cucumber salad).
Make the cucumber salad
- Trim the ends from the cucumber; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
Warm the tortillas
Prep and cook the sole
- Pat the sole dry with a paper towel; cut into 2-inch pieces and season with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining garnishes
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick pieces.
- Remove any coarse stems from the cilantro; tear the cilantro, if desired.
Chef’s Tip If you have time, in Step 3, instead of warming the tortillas in the oven, warm them on the stovetop directly over a flame, or in a dry medium frying pan over medium heat, until just pliable and warmed through, about 30 seconds per side. Transfer to a clean kitchen towel, cover, and keep warm.
- Juice the lime.
- Mix the yogurt sauce.
- Stir together the cucumber salad.
- Prepare the cilantro.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 500, Protein: 22 g, Total Fat: 29 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 17 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5 g, Saturated Fat: 4.5 g, Cholesterol: 45 mg, Carbohydrates: 38 g, Fiber: 4 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 430 mg
Contains: fish, milk