Saigon noodles with braised tofu and cucumber-radish salad
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
This stunner of a salad comes together quickly with ready-braised tofu, fast-cooking gluten-free rice noodles, and a crisp salad garnish.
- 5 ounces rice vermicelli noodles
- 3 scallions
- ½ pound Hodo Soy braised tofu
- 1-inch piece fresh ginger
- 1 cucumber
- 3 or 4 red radishes
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 Thai chile (optional)
- Dressing base (rice vinegar - tamari - sesame oil - maple syrup)
- 2 ounces shredded carrots
- 1 ounce bean sprouts
Adding mo hanh, or Vietnamese scallion oil, is an easy way to impart a nice aroma and richness to a host of dishes. While it’s traditionally used to garnish rice noodles and pancakes, we like this versatile oil so much we suggest trying it on salads, eggs, and steak.
Cook the noodles
While the water heats and the noodles cook, prepare the scallion oil.
Make the scallion oil
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
In a medium frying pan over high heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Pour the hot oil over the scallions and let stand while you prepare the rest of the meal. Do not clean the pan.
Prep and cook the tofu
- Cut the tofu in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick strips.
While the tofu cooks, prepare the cucumber-radish salad.
Make the dressing and cucumber-radish salad
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber into quarters lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch pieces.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- If using, remove the stem from the Thai chile; finely chop the chile. Wash your hands after handling.
In a medium bowl, combine the cucumber, radishes, mint, carrots, bean sprouts, and 2 tablespoons of the dressing and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 29g (58% DV), Fiber: 10g (40% DV), Total Fat: 31g (48% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 730mg (30% DV), Carbohydrates: 74g (25% DV), Total Sugars: 6g, Added Sugars: (Maple Syrup) 2g (4% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.