Italian sausage ragù with gluten-free penne and peas
Gluten Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
This fulfilling, gluten-free pasta is a collaboration between Tyler Florence and Chef Justine where mushrooms add earthiness to a hearty pork sauce.
- 10 ounces gluten-free quinoa penne
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 3 ounces cremini mushrooms
- 1 pound fresh loose mild Italian pork sausage (contains pork and spices)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 romaine heart
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- ¼ cup grated Pecorino Romano
- Sun Basket house dressing (olive oil - balsamic vinegar - Dijon mustard - fresh garlic)
- ¾ cup peas
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
To save an extra step, instead of draining the pasta and reserving some of the cooking water, use a slotted spoon to transfer the cooked pasta directly from the water to the sauce. There will be enough cooking water clinging to the penne to loosen the sauce.
Cook the penne
While the water heats and the penne cooks, make the sauce.
Prep the sauce ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Thinly slice the mushrooms.
- Cut a small corner from the sausage packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
Cook the sauce
While the sauce cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the root end from the romaine heart; separate the leaves.
- Coarsely tear the romaine leaves.
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves. Set aside half for garnish.
- Measure out 2 tablespoons Pecorino Romano for the salad; set aside the rest for garnish.
Finish the pasta
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Tear the romaine; toss the salad.
- Sprinkle the cheese and parsley.
- Set the table.
- Sing "O Sole Mio”.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 22g (44% DV), Fiber: 6g (24% DV), Total Fat: 38g (58% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 9g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g, Saturated Fat: 10g (50% DV), Cholesterol: 80mg (27% DV), Sodium: 1040mg (43% DV), Carbohydrates: 64g (21% DV), Total Sugars: 5g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: milk