Jamaican jerk-spiced pork with kale-blueberry salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
This mildly spicy meal is light and easy to prepare; it all comes together in just under 20 minutes. Our house-made jerk spice blend, spiked with chipotle and cayenne pepper, gives the simple pan-cooked pork chops just enough heat to keep things interesting and balances the sweetness of the nutrient-dense blueberry-kale salad.
- Two 6-ounce boneless pork loin chops
- Jerk spice rub (chipotle powder - granulated garlic - ground ginger - allspice - cloves - cayenne)
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 Persian cucumber
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 lime
- ½ teaspoon honey
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- Fresh cilantro
- 2 ounces baby kale
Season the pork
- Pat the pork dry with a paper towel; season with salt and rub all over with the jerk spice rub.
Prep the salad
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red bell pepper; finely chop the bell pepper.
- Trim the ends from the cucumber; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
- Cut the blueberries in half, if desired.
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Juice half the lime; cut half into wedges for garnish.
Cook the pork
While the pork cooks and rests, finish the salad.
Toss the salad
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 500, Protein: 45g, Total Fat: 26g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g, Cholesterol: 105mg, Carbohydrates: 22g, Fiber: 7g, Sugar: 11g, Added Sugars (Honey): 1g, Sodium: 410mg