Lentil and cauliflower soup with Swiss cheese and toasted crostini
Vegetarian, Soy Free
This quick-to-make vegetarian soup has long-cooked flavor thanks to the hearty mix of ingredients. Black garlic has been cooked at a very low temperature for several weeks until the cloves lose their pungency and develop a sweet, molasses like richness and an undercurrent of umami.
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1-2 yellow finn or yukon gold potatoes
- 1 carrot
- 2 thyme sprigs
- 1 black garlic clove
- ¾ cup lentils
- 2 teaspoon sherry vinegar
- 8 ounces cauliflower florets
- 1 ciabatta roll
- 2 ounces grated Swiss cheese
Caramelize the onion
Prep the vegetables
- Cut the potato into small cubes.
- Peel the carrot and cut into small cubes.
- Strip the leaves from the thyme sprigs.
- With the side of a knife, smash the black garlic to a coarse paste.
While the soup cooks, prepare the cauliflower.
Roast the cauliflower
Melt the cheese