Oaxaca: Chicken mole coloradito
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Spicy
30 – 40 Minutes
Mole coloradito is a classic sauce for chicken, made a rich reddish color by several wonderful mild chiles, and velvety with melted Mexican chocolate. Traditional mole is very labor-intensive, reserved for special occasions. We save you time and trips to several grocery stores by sending our custom mole coloradito spice blend, so that you can get to Oaxaca and back on a weeknight.
- ½ cup long-grain white rice
- 1½ ounces Mexican chocolate (contains soy lecithin and shea and/or illipe nut butters)
- Sun Basket mole coloradito blend (cumin - cinnamon - ground cloves - allspice - sesame seeds - sesame oil - fresh garlic - ancho chile powder - New Mexican dried chiles - dried oregano - canola olive oil blend)
- 10 ounces chicken thigh pieces
- 1 yellow onion
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 1 cup chicken stock
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
Cook the rice
- Using a strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, make the mole.
Make the mole
- Coarsely chop the chocolate.
Cook the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel and season generously with salt and pepper.
- Peel and thinly slice the onion.
Finish the stew
Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the chicken is cooked through, 5 to 7 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper. While the stew cooks, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the lime into wedges.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 800, Protein: 37 g, Total Fat: 38 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 18 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 9.5 g, Saturated Fat: 6.5 g, Cholesterol: 93 mg. Carbohydrates: 81 g, Fiber: 10 g, Added Sugar (Mexican Chocolate): 15 g, Sodium: 470 mg
Contains: soy, tree nuts