Lettuce-wrapped turkey burgers with avocado and sambal mayo
Paleo, Gluten Free, Lean & Clean, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Wrap lean turkey burgers in crisp lettuce leaves with avocado and our secret sauce for a filling yet lean paleo meal.
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1 lime
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 serrano (optional)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 or 3 red radishes
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh mint
- 1 head baby iceberg lettuce
- 1 Roma tomato
- 1 avocado
- Sun Basket sambal mayo (paleo mayo - sambal oelek)
Make It Leaner
Erase 40 calories and 5 grams of fat from each serving by slathering on only half the sambal mayo. While the avocado provides healthy fats, using only half will cut out an additional 80 calories and 8 grams of fat per serving. What to do with the other half? Make avocado toast for breakfast or lunch the next day, of course.
Prep the turkey burgers
- Cut a small corner from the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Peel and finely chop enough shallots to measure ¼ cup.
- Zest and juice the lime, keeping the zest and juice separate. Set aside the juice for the cucumber-radish salad.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- If using the serrano, remove the stem, ribs, and seeds; finely chop the serrano. Wash your hands after handling.
Cook the burgers
While the burgers cook, prepare the cucumber-radish salad, lettuce wraps, and toppings.
Make the cucumber-radish salad
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends. Cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim the ends from the radishes. Cut them in half, then cut the halves into thin half-moons.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Prep the lettuce wraps and toppings
- Trim the root end from the iceberg lettuce. Separate the large leaves for the burgers; save the rest for another use.
- Cut away the core from the tomato; thinly slice the tomato.
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into ¼-inch-thick slices.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 14g (56% DV), Total Fat: 43g (66% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 19g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 7g, Saturated Fat: 17g (85% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 550mg (23% DV), Carbohydrates: 27g (9% DV), Total Sugars: 11g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.