Quinoa bowl with kale, avocado, and basil-mint pesto
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
Quinoa has a laundry list of health benefits, and we love how it makes such a delicious base to soak up sauce, like the basil-mint pesto in this gluten-free, vegetarian grain bowl. It’s one of the only plant foods that’s a complete protein, an important part of any cleanse. The seeds are coated with a protective layer called saponin, which can taste bitter, so give them a good rinse before cooking.
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 1 zucchini
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 bunch kale
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 1 avocado
- 1 lemon
- Sun Basket basil-mint pesto (basil - mint - walnuts - olive oil - water - salt)
- 3 tablespoons roasted pumpkin seeds
Rinse and cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks, prepare the zucchini and kale.
Prep and cook the zucchini and kale
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini lengthwise into ¼-inch-thick strips, and cut the strips into ¼-inch cubes.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Strip the kale leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
If the pan is dry, add 1 teaspoon oil; warm over medium heat. Stir in the garlic and as much chile flakes as you like and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the kale, season with salt and pepper, and cook, stirring occasionally, until wilted, 2 to 3 minutes.
While the kale cooks, prepare the avocado.
Prep the avocado and lemon; finish the quinoa
- Cut the avocado in half. Remove the pit, scoop out the flesh, and cut the flesh into bite-size pieces.
- Zest the lemon; juice half and cut the other half into wedges, reserving the wedges for serving.
Chef’s Tip To save time chopping, in Step 2, the zucchini can also be cooked in ¼-inch-thick slabs instead of cubes, 2 to 4 minutes per side.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 710, Protein: 18 g, Total Fat: 49 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 27.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 10 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 58 g, Fiber: 13 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 400 mg
Contains: tree nuts