Sausage and white bean cassoulet with arugula salad
Dairy Free, Soy Free
30 – 40 Minutes
Cassoulet is a Southwestern French dish that Paula Wolfert helped make famous. Her epic recipe calls for six kinds of pork and three days in the kitchen. We turned it into a 30-minute, one-pan dish with wonderfully layered results.
- ½ pound loose mild Italian pork sausage
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh thyme
- 1 cup cooked cannellini beans
- 3 ounces diced pancetta
- ½ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- 1 teaspoon tomato paste
- 1 cup chicken broth
- 1 dried bay leaf
- 1 tablespoon whole wheat panko
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- 1½ teaspoons sherry vinegar
- ¼ pound baby arugula
Brown the sausage
In a medium ovenproof frying pan over medium-high heat, warm 2 teaspoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the sausage and cook, stirring to break up the meat, until lightly browned but not yet cooked through, 2 to 4 minutes. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate. Do not clean the pan.
While the sausage browns, prepare the remaining ingredients for the cassoulet.
Prep the remaining cassoulet ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon. Set aside ¼ teaspoon garlic for the arugula salad.
- Strip the thyme leaves from the stems.
- Rinse the cannellini beans.
Cook the cassoulet
Transfer the pan to the oven and cook until the panko is lightly browned and the sausage is cooked through, 8 to 10 minutes.
When the cassoulet is almost done, prepare the parsley and the arugula salad.
Chop the parsley and make the arugula salad
- Strip the parsley leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves for garnish.
In a medium bowl, combine the arugula and remaining ¼ teaspoon garlic with as much vinaigrette as you like and toss to coat. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 750, Protein: 27g, Total Fat: 55g, Monounsaturated Fat: 7g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 0.5g, Saturated Fat: 18g, Cholesterol: 90mg, Carbohydrates: 30g, Fiber: 9g, Sugar: 5g, Added Sugars (Chicken broth contains trace amounts of organic cane sugar): 0g, Sodium: 1810mg