Sesame chicken stir-fry with udon noodles
20 – 30 Minutes
Get to know the joys of fresh udon in this fast and family-friendly collaboration between Sun Basket Chef Justine and Food Network Chef Tyler Florence.
- 1½ pounds fresh udon noodles
- 4 to 6 boneless skinless chicken thighs (about 1 pound total)
- 2 celery ribs
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 green bell pepper
- 3 scallions
- 1 teaspoon arrowroot powder
- 1 cup chicken broth
- Sun Basket sesame stir-fry seasoning (tamari - sesame oil - rice vinegar - fresh garlic - fresh ginger)
- ½ teaspoon sambal oelek (optional)
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon sesame seeds
For a creamier sauce, in a small bowl, blend the stir-fry seasoning with a heaping tablespoon of your favorite nut or seed butter before adding it to the stir-fry in Step 4. If the nut butter makes the seasoning mixture too thick, stir in a bit of water to thin it back out.
Cook the udon noodles
While the water heats and the udon cooks, prepare the chicken and vegetables.
Prep and brown the chicken
- Pat the chicken dry with a paper towel. Cut the chicken into ½-inch-wide strips; season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the vegetables
- Trim the ends from the celery. Thinly slice the celery on the diagonal.
- Peel and coarsely chop enough yellow onion to measure 1 cup.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red and green bell peppers; cut the bell peppers into 1-inch pieces.
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions on the diagonal, keeping the white and green parts separate. Set aside the green parts for garnish.
Cook the vegetables and finish the chicken
- In a small bowl, using a whisk or fork, mix together the arrowroot powder and chicken broth to form a slurry.
Add the chicken and any accumulated juices. Stir the arrowroot slurry to recombine, then add the slurry, sesame stir-fry seasoning, and as much sambal oelek as you like. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the chicken is cooked through and the liquid has thickened, 3 to 5 minutes. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the chicken and vegetables cook, chop the cilantro. .
Prep the cilantro
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Prepare the arrowroot slurry.
- Set the table.
- Serve the meal.
- Clear the table.
- Pack up any leftovers for lunch the next day.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 32g (64% DV), Fiber: 3g (12% DV), Total Fat: 27g (42% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 12g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 3g (15% DV), Cholesterol: 115mg (38% DV), Sodium: 1270mg (53% DV), Carbohydrates: 10g (3% DV), Total Sugars: 3g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: soy, wheat