Sesame-crusted chicken with roasted new potato salad
30 – 40 Minutes
Not your grandmother’s potato salad, nor likely her chicken cutlets, this Asian-inspired dish is a collaboration between Tyler Florence and Chef Justine. The chicken is seasoned with a sesame-tamari dressing, then lightly pan-fried in an ingenious coating of panko, white and black sesame seeds, and lemon zest. The oven-roasted new potatoes are tossed in the same sesame-tamari dressing with fresh spinach, crisp cucumber, and carrots. The crunchy-tangy-salty-sweet results will win over the whole family.
- 1 pound new potatoes
- 2 scallions
- Fresh ginger
- 1 lemon
- Four ¼-pound boneless skinless chicken cutlets
- Sesame-tamari dressing base (gluten-free tamari - rice vinegar - sesame oil - coconut sugar)
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
- ¾ cup whole wheat panko
- ¼ cup black and white sesame seeds
- 2 or 3 Persian cucumbers
- Fresh cilantro
- ½ pound baby spinach
- 1 ounce shredded carrots
Prep and roast the potatoes
- Cut the potatoes in half.
While the potatoes roast, prepare the sesame-tamari dressing and dress the chicken.
Make the sesame-tamari dressing; dress the chicken
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Zest the lemon; set aside for the panko mixture.
- Juice the lemon, keeping the zest and juice separate.
- Pat the chicken cutlets dry with a paper towel.
Add the chicken to the medium bowl with the dressing and toss to coat. Let stand, turning once or twice, while you prepare the panko crust.
Prep the panko mixture; cook the chicken
- In a shallow bowl or plate, stir together the panko, sesame seeds, and lemon zest. Season generously with salt and pepper and spread in an even layer.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 2 to 3 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Add the chicken and cook until lightly browned and cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
While the chicken cooks, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Trim the ends from the cucumbers; cut the cucumbers in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
Chef’s Tip To keep the coating on the chicken rather than leave it behind in the pan, use a nonstick frying pan if you have one and preheat the oil before adding the meat. Resist the temptation to crank up the heat; medium is hot enough to brown these cutlets nicely.
- Toss the potatoes with oil before roasting.
- Juice the lemon.
- Mix the dressing.
- Prep the panko mixture.
- Toss the salad.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 520, Protein: 37g, Total Fat: 24g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 3g, Cholesterol: 65mg, Carbohydrates: 43g, Fiber: 8g, Sugar: 5g, Added Sugars (Coconut sugar): 1g, Sodium: 1110mg
Contains: soy, wheat.