Shrimp lettuce cups with jicama-mango salad and rice noodles
Paleo Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
The whole family will love these deconstructed Vietnamese fresh spring rolls. Lettuce wraps and rice vermicelli noodles keep them gluten-free.
- ½ pound rice vermicelli
- 1 scallion
- 1 pound shrimp
- Shrimp marinade base (coconut aminos - sesame oil - fresh ginger - fresh garlic)
- 1 pound jicama sticks
- 1 cucumber
- 1 mango
- 2 limes
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 head living butter lettuce
- 1 teaspoon kimchi flakes (optional)
Cook the rice noodles
While the water heats and the vermicelli cook, prepare the shrimp.
Marinate the shrimp
- Trim the root end from the scallion; finely chop the scallion.
- Rinse the shrimp, then drain on a paper-towel-lined plate and pat dry.
Make the jicama-mango salad
- Cut half the jicama sticks into ¼-inch-thick cubes; you can offer the remaining jicama sticks as snacks or save for another use.
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends; cut the cucumber in half lengthwise, then on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Trim off the top and bottom of the mango; using a peeler, cut away the peel. Use the peeler to cut the fruit into thin strips or, using a knife, cut the fruit away from the pit and thinly slice lengthwise.
- Zest and juice one lime. Cut the other lime into wedges for garnish.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
- Trim the root end from the butter lettuce; separate the lettuce leaves.
Cook the shrimp
Chef’s tip: While pasta water is almost always salted in Italian cooking, in many Asian cultures, the water is never salted for noodles or rice. Instead, the seasonings come from the sauces and condiments that accompany them.
- Juice the lime.
- Separate the lettuce leaves.
- Toss the jicama-mango salad.
- Toss the vermicelli and shrimp.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 590, Protein: 25g, Total Fat: 15g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 170mg, Carbohydrates: 82g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 740mg
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 390, Protein: 23g, Total Fat: 15g, Monounsaturated Fat: 8g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4.5g, Saturated Fat: 1.5g, Cholesterol: 170mg, Carbohydrates: 35g, Fiber: 10g, Sugar: 16g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 640mg