Smoky red lentil stew and cheese toasts with caramelized onions
Vegetarian, Soy Free
35 – 45 Minutes
Our homage to the classic tomato soup and grilled-cheese combo is this red lentil stew that gets its deep, savory flavor from smoked paprika and fire-roasted tomatoes. The cheese toast, which features a layer of caramelized onions and a smear of Dijon mustard, turns this simple soup into a substantial meal.
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- Smoky spice blend (sweet smoked paprika - cayenne)
- ¾ cup red lentils
- 1 cup crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 1 ciabatta
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 ounces Italian cheese blend (mozzarella - provolone)
- 1 ounce arugula
Caramelize the onion
- Peel and thinly slice the yellow onion.
While the onion cooks, prepare the garlic.
Prep the garlic; make the stew
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
While the stew cooks, prepare the cheese toasts.
Assemble and bake the cheese toasts
- Cut the ciabatta in half lengthwise.
While the ciabatta toasts, prepare the arugula.
Dress the arugula; finish the cheese toast
Remove the cheese toasts from the oven and top with two-thirds of the arugula.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 760, Protein: 34 g, Total Fat: 26 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 13 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5 g, Saturated Fat: 6 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Carbohydrates: 102 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 900 mg
Contains: milk, wheat