Spicy tomato-coconut shrimp with spinach
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
20 – 30 Minutes
A handful of garlic and a generous pinch of (optional) red pepper flakes deliver serious flavor to this simple dish. Chef Justine adds a bit of sweet coconut milk to cut the spice and up the comfort food factor, and stirs in spinach at the end for a boost of iron-rich flavor.
- 1 yellow onion
- Peeled fresh garlic
- 10 ounces wild Gulf shrimp
- ½ teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
- Fresh flat-leaf parsley
- Fresh basil
- 1 lemon
- 1¼ cups diced tomatoes
- ½ cup coconut milk
- ¼ pound baby spinach
Prep the onion, garlic, and shrimp
- Peel and coarsely chop the onion.
- Finely chop enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
- Rinse the shrimp and pat dry with a paper towel. Season the shrimp with salt, pepper, and as much red pepper flakes as you like.
Cook the shrimp
Cook the onion and garlic
While the onion cooks, prepare the herbs and lemon.
Prep the herbs and lemon
- Strip the parsley and basil leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
- Zest half the lemon. Cut the lemon into wedges.
Finish the sauce
Return the shrimp to the pan and stir in the spinach. Cook until the spinach is wilted and the shrimp is warmed through, 1 to 2 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in the parsley, basil, and lemon zest. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
Return the shrimp to the pan with the spinach and cook until the spinach is wilted and the shrimp is warmed through.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 500, Protein: 23 g, Total Fat: 34 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 22 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3 g, Saturated Fat: 8 g, Cholesterol: 180 mg, Carbohydrates: 28 g, Fiber: 6 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 1050 mg