Steak stir-fry with spring vegetables
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
30 – 40 Minutes
Sweet, crisp sugar snap peas, a cross between snow peas and English peas, are meant to be eaten whole, pod and all. They’re a delicious snack when enjoyed raw and are perfect for quick-cooking stir-fries like this one. The trick is to just barely heat them so they retain their crunch.
- 2 tablespoons sesame seeds
- 10 ounces top sirloin steak strips
- 1 red onion
- ¼ pound carrots
- ¼ pound broccoli florets
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- Fresh mint
- Paleo stir-fry seasoning (coconut aminos - coconut vinegar)
- 2 ounces sugar snap peas
- 1 tablespoon sambal oelek (optional)
Toast the sesame seeds
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season generously with salt and pepper.
Prep the remaining stir-fry ingredients
- Peel and thinly slice the red onion.
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the tops; thinly slice the carrots on the diagonal.
- Trim the ends from the broccoli; cut any large florets in half.
- Grate or peel and finely chop the ginger.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Cook the vegetables; finish the stir-fry
Stir in the garlic and ginger and cook until fragrant, about 1 minute. Add the stir-fry seasoning and ¼ cup water, cover, and cook until the vegetables are just tender, 2 to 3 minutes. Add the snap peas, steak, and any accumulated juices and cook, uncovered, stirring occasionally, until the snap peas are crisp-tender and the steak is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes for medium. Remove from the heat. Stir in the mint, sesame seeds, and as much sambal oelek as you like. Season to taste with salt.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 500, Protein: 35 g, Total Fat: 29 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 14 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.5 g, Saturated Fat: 3.5 g, Cholesterol: 75 mg, Carbohydrates: 27 g, Fiber: 7 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 400 mg