Summer squash and black bean tacos with cabbage–bell pepper slaw
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
These easy vegetarian and gluten-free tacos get fast flavor from our custom taco seasoning, a mellow blend of chili powder, cumin, and coriander.
- 1 yellow onion
- 2 yellow squash (about ¾ pound)
- 2 or 3 zucchini
- 1 red bell pepper
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- 2 limes
- 3 ounces queso fresco
- Taco seasoning (granulated garlic - chili powder - cumin - coriander)
- ½ cup diced tomatoes
- 16 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- ¼ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 6 or 7 sprigs fresh cilantro
- 6 ounces shredded Savoy cabbage
- ½ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
You can turn your remaining tortillas into chips: Heat the oven to 350°F. Cut the tortillas into wedges. On a sheet pan, drizzle the wedges with 1 to 2 teaspoons neutral oil, season generously with salt and pepper, and toss to coat. Bake until crisp, 10 to 12 minutes.
Prep the vegetables and black beans
- Peel and coarsely chop the yellow onion.
- Trim the ends from the squash and zucchini; cut them in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the bell pepper; finely chop the bell pepper. Divide into two equal portions, one for the squash mixture and one for the slaw.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Juice 1 lime (the juice will be divided between the squash mixture and the slaw).
- Cut the other lime into wedges for garnish.
- Crumble the queso fresco.
Cook the vegetables and black beans
Add the black beans and cook until warmed through, 2 to 3 minutes. Add ½ cup water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until thickened, 4 to 5 minutes.
Remove from the heat and stir in half the lime juice. Season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the vegetables and beans cook, heat the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
While the tortillas heat, prepare the slaw.
Make the slaw
- Finely chop the olives.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for garnish.
- Rinse the beans.
- Juice the lime and crumble the queso fresco.
- Prepare the tortillas for warming.
- Toss the slaw.
- Set out the taco bar.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 12g (24% DV), Fiber: 11g (44% DV), Total Fat: 25g (38% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 25g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 3.5g, Saturated Fat: 4.5g (23% DV), Cholesterol: 15mg (5% DV), Sodium: 490mg (20% DV), Carbohydrates: 51g (17% DV), Total Sugars: 12g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.