Black bean tacos with pickled cabbage and lime-roasted cauliflower
Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
These tacos double as a master class in how to create bold flavors with humble ingredients. The black beans are seasoned with a cinnamon- and cocoa-spiked mole poblano spice blend. The green cabbage is quick-pickled with rice vinegar and brown sugar, giving it vivid flavor and satisfying crunch. Last but not least, ordinary cauliflower gets a steak-like crust and smoky flavor roasted with paprika. Thinly sliced limes (plus fresh lime wedges) add tang, but they are optional.
- 10 ounces cauliflower florets
- 2 limes
- 1 teaspoon sweet smoked paprika
- ¼ pound Savoy cabbage
- Quick-pickle brine (apple cider vinegar - honey)
- 1 or 2 shallots
- 1/3 cup roasted red peppers
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 tablespoon mole poblano spice blend
- 6 Mi Rancho 100% corn tortillas
- 2 ounces queso fresco
Roast the cauliflower
- Cut any large cauliflower florets in half.
- Cut 1 lime in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons for the cauliflower. Cut 1 lime into wedges and set aside for garnish.
While the cauliflower roasts, prepare the rest of the meal.
Pickle the cabbage
- Cut away the core from the cabbage; thinly slice the cabbage.
Cook the black beans
- Peel and thinly slice the shallots.
- Coarsely chop the roasted red peppers.
- Rinse the black beans.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro and divide into two equal portions: one for the beans, one for garnish.
Stir in the mole poblano spice blend and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Add the red peppers, black beans, and ½ cup water. Season with salt and pepper, bring to a boil, reduce to a vigorous simmer, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the liquid has thickened, 5 to 6 minutes. Remove from the heat and stir in half the cilantro.
While the black beans cook, warm the tortillas.
Warm the tortillas
Chef’s Tip To cook this meal even faster, in Step 3, start cooking the shallots while you finish prepping the remaining ingredients for the beans.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 760, Protein: 26 g, Total Fat: 23 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 11 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 20 mg, Carbohydrates: 107 g, Fiber: 11 g, Added Sugar (Honey Clover Blossom): 32 g, Sodium: 740 mg