Turkey-apple sausage, beet-apple salad, walnut vinaigrette
Low-fat ground turkey makes a terrific sausage especially with the addition of grated apples, which adds both flavor and helps patties moist. Apples show up again in the beet salad to tie the flavors together in this simple winter meal.
- 2 ounces walnut pieces
- 2 green apples
- 12 ounces ground turkey
- 2 teaspoons sausage spice blend (sage-ginger-allspice-black pepper-salt-thyme)
- 4 ounces cucumber
- 1 bunch fresh dill
- 1 lemon
- 12 ounces beets
- 1 bunch fresh basil
- 2 teaspoons sherry vinegar
Toast the walnuts, make the turkey sausage
- Coarsely grate one of the apples including the skin. Transfer the grated apple to a strainer. With the back of a spoon, press out and discard as much of the liquid as possible.
In a frying pan over medium heat, warm a tablespoon of oil until hot but not smoking. Using damp hands, shape the sausage mixture into 4 patties about 1-inch thick. Cook in the hot pan until well browned, 4 to 6 minutes on each side. While the patties cook, make the salsa.
Make the salsa
- Cut the cucumber into small cubes.
- Strip the dill fronds from the stems and coarsely chop the fronds.
- Juice the lemon.
Make the salad
- Peel the beets. Cut them in half and then into thin half-moon-slices. Rinse the beets with cool water and pat dry.
- Cut the remaining apple into 1/4-inch-thick slices.
- Coarsely chop the basil leaves.
Nutrition per serving: Calories 670 , Protein: 39 g, Total Fat: 40 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 19 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 12 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 115 mg, Carbohydrates: 43 g, Fiber: 11 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 940 mg