Tomato-braised turkey meatballs with zucchini and curried cauliflower
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Low Calorie
25 - 35 Minutes
If you’ve been hearing a lot about turmeric recently, there’s a reason—our staff nutritionist, Kaley Todd, tells us that there’s preliminary evidence that the curcumin found in turmeric may not only help reduce joint pain and swelling, but may have cancer-protective qualities as well. Here it plays a starring role in the warming curry powder Chef Justine sprinkles on cauliflower florets before roasting, one of many fragrant components in this easy supper.
- ¾ pound cauliflower
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- Fresh cilantro
- 10 ounces ground turkey
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- Meatball spice blend (coconut flour - dried oregano - granulated garlic - sweet smoked paprika)
- 5 ounces zucchini
- 1 teaspoon garam masala
- 2 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 cup crushed fire-roasted tomatoes
- 2 tablespoons fried shallots (contain soy – optional)
Roast the cauliflower
- Cut the cauliflower into florets, discarding any leaves or thick stalks.
While the cauliflower roasts, prepare the meatballs.
Make the meatballs
- Finely chop the cilantro; divide the cilantro into 2 equal portions, one for the meatballs and one for the garnish.
- Cut off a small corner of the ground turkey packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate and pat dry with a paper towel.
In a large frying pan over medium heat, warm 1 to 2 tablespoons oil until hot but not smoking. Working in batches if necessary, add the meatballs and cook until browned but not yet cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes per side. Transfer to a paper-towel-lined plate to drain. Do not clean the pan.
While the meatballs cook, prepare the zucchini.
Prep the zucchini; make the sauce
- Trim the ends from the zucchini; cut the zucchini in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ½-inch-thick half-moons.
Stir in the tomato paste, tomatoes, and ¾ cup water; bring to a boil. Reduce to a simmer, add the meatballs, and cook, stirring occasionally, until the sauce thickens and the meatballs are cooked through, 3 to 4 minutes. Remove from the heat, season to taste with salt and pepper, and garnish with the remaining cilantro.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 520, Protein: 37g, Total Fat: 30g, Monounsaturated Fat: 16g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5g, Saturated Fat: 7g, Cholesterol: 180mg, Carbohydrates: 26g, Fiber: 11g, Sugar: 10g, Added Sugars: 0g, Sodium: 620mg
Contains: soy, eggs