Two-bean and sweet potato tamale pie
Soy Free, Vegetarian
35 – 45 Minutes
Traditional tamales feature deliciously spiced fillings that are packed into corn masa, wrapped in corn husks, and, finally, steamed. They’re wonderful, but a big production. In Sun Basket’s streamlined version, we season a rich mix of pinto and black beans, quinoa, and sweet potatoes with our custom spice blend. Then we bake the filling under a crisp cornbread crust that’s as easy as, well, pie.
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 1 cup cooked pinto beans
- 1 cup cooked black beans
- ½ cup mirepoix (onions - carrots - celery)
- Tamale spice blend (sweet smoked paprika - coriander - cumin - dried Mexican oregano - granulated garlic - cinnamon)
- 1 cup chopped peeled sweet potatoes
- 1½ cups diced tomatoes
- ½ cup diced mild green chiles
- ¾ cup shredded Mexican cheese blend (Monterey jack - cheddar - queso blanco - Asadero)
- 1 cup milk
- 1 pasture-raised organic egg
- Cornbread mix (all-purpose flour - cornmeal - sugar - baking powder - salt)
- Fresh cilantro
- 1 lime
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
Make the tamale filling
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa, pinto and black beans.
Add the quinoa, both beans, sweet potatoes, tomatoes, green chiles, and 1½ cups water and season with salt. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, and cook until the sweet potatoes start to soften, 8 to 10 minutes. Remove from the heat. Stir in the Mexican cheese blend and season to taste with salt and pepper.
While the filling simmers, prepare the cornbread.
Make the cornbread
- Measure out ¼ cup milk, save the rest for another use.
Assemble and bake the tamale pie
When the tamale pie is almost done, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Coarsely chop the cilantro for garnish.
- Cut half the lime into wedges for garnish.
- Juice the other lime half.
- Rinse the quinoa and beans.
- Help make the cornbread.
- Juice the lime half.
- Make the lime yogurt topping.
- Serve the meal.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 550, Protein: 23 g, Total Fat: 22 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 12 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2 g, Saturated Fat: 5 g, Cholesterol: 60 mg, Carbohydrates: 66 g, Fiber: 9 g, Added Sugar (Granulated Sugar): 1 g, Sodium: 580 mg
Contains: milk, wheat, eggs