Vietnamese steak stir-fry with jasmine rice
Paleo Friendly, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
25 – 35 Minutes
In this paleo-friendly family dinner, curry powder and a splash of fish sauce bring depth and umami to stir-fried steak and a colorful array of vegetables.
- 1 cup jasmine rice
- Peeled fresh garlic
- Fresh ginger
- 1 red bell pepper
- 2 summer squash
- 2 limes
- 1¼ pounds top sirloin steak strips
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- ¼ pound shredded carrots
- 1 tablespoon sesame oil
- 2 teaspoons fish sauce
- ¼ teaspoon red chile flakes (optional)
- 3 scallions
- Fresh cilantro
The key to browning steak strips for a stir-fry is to start with a hot pan and dry meat, so pat the steak as dry as possible before cooking.
Cook the rice
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the rice.
While the rice cooks, prepare the stir-fry ingredients.
Prep the stir-fry ingredients
- Finely chop, press, or grate enough garlic to measure 2 teaspoons.
- Grate or peel and finely chop enough ginger to measure 1 teaspoon.
- Remove the stem, ribs, and seeds from the red bell pepper. Thinly slice the bell pepper.
- Trim the ends from the squash; cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise on the diagonal into ¼-inch-thick slices.
- Juice 1 lime.
Sear the steak
- Cut a small corner from the steak packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook the vegetables; finish the stir-fry
Add the steak and any accumulated juices. Stir in the lime juice, sesame oil, half the fish sauce, and as many chile flakes as you like and cook, stirring occasionally, until the steak is cooked through, 2 to 3 minutes.
Remove from the heat and season to taste with more fish sauce, salt, and pepper.
While the vegetables cook, prepare the garnishes.
Prep the garnishes
- Trim the root ends from the scallions; thinly slice the scallions.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro.
- Cut the other lime into wedges.
- Rinse and fluff the rice.
- Press the garlic (if you have a press).
- Measure out the garlic and ginger.
- Juice the lime.
- Set the table.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 34g (68% DV), Fiber: 3g (12% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 9g (45% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 47g (16% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: fish
Paleo-strict nutrition per serving: Calories: 420, Protein: 31g (62% DV), Fiber: 3g (12% DV), Total Fat: 28g (43% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 14g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 2.5g, Saturated Fat: 9g (45% DV), Cholesterol: 105mg (35% DV), Sodium: 460mg (19% DV), Carbohydrates: 12g (4% DV), Total Sugars: 4g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat. Contains: fish