Cajun style rice with shrimp and chorizo
Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Spicy
In Cajun kitchens, the combination of onions, celery and bell peppers is known as the “holy trinity” and is the basis of countless dishes. Here Chef Justine riffs on a classic jambalaya inspired by her days as a young cook working in kitchens in New Orleans.
- 5 ounces chorizo sausage
- 3 ounces shallots
- 1 bell pepper
- 2 celery ribs
- 2 tomatoes
- 1 tablespoon Creole spice mix
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- ½ cup white rice
- 4 ounces padron peppers
- 6 ounces shrimp
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1 teaspoon Tabasco sauce (optional)
Brown the sausage
While the sausage cooks, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel and slice the shallots.
- Dice the red bell pepper, discard the seeds.
- Slice the celery.
- Cut the tomatoes into 1-inch pieces.
Cook the vegetables and rice
Cook the peppers and shrimp