Chicken garam masala with yogurt and toasted naan
Sumac lends a slight citrusy flavor to balance the mild spices in this classic Indian braised chicken dish. We served it here the traditional way, with cool yogurt and tender naan. If you like it spicier, add some chili flakes.
- 2 chicken thighs-cut into pieces
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 carrot
- ½ ounce fresh ginger
- 1-2 garlic cloves
- Fresh cilantro
- ½ teaspoon Indian spice blend (turmeric - garam masala)
- 1 cup diced tomatoes
- 1 piece naan
- ½ cup Greek yogurt
- 1 teaspoon sumac
Brown the chicken
- Season the chicken with salt and pepper.
While the chicken browns, prepare the vegetables.
Prep the vegetables
- Peel the onion and coarsely chop.
- Scrub and cut the carrot diagonally into ¼-inch-thick pieces.
- Peel the ginger and finely chop.
- Finely chop the garlic.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro, including the stems.
Cook the vegetables
Return the chicken to the pot, add the diced tomatoes, 1 cup water, and half the cilantro. Bring to a boil, reduce to a simmer, cover, and cook until the carrots are tender, the chicken is cooked through, and the liquid has reduced by about half, 15 to 18 minutes.
Remove from the heat, stir in the remaining cilantro, and season with salt and pepper. While the chicken and vegetables cook, prepare the naan.
Toast the naan
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 580, Protein: 41 g, Total Fat: 30 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 15.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 4 g, Saturated Fat: 7 g, Cholesterol: 115 mg, Carbohydrates: 35 g, Fiber: 5 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 570 mg