Moroccan lamb merguez patties with warm carrot salad
Paleo, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Aromatic spices infuse flavor into these fast and easy paleo lamb patties, served with a North African-inspired salad.
- 3 tablespoons roasted almonds
- 1 teaspoon baharat
- 3 or 4 carrots (about 10 ounces)
- 10 ounces ground lamb
- 3 or 4 sprigs fresh cilantro
- Merguez spice blend (sweet paprika - cumin - fennel seeds - granulated garlic - coriander)
- 1 wedge preserved lemon
- 3 ounces baby arugula
- 2 tablespoons golden raisins
- Sun Basket lemon-tahini dressing (paleo mayo - tahini - lemon juice - salt)
Baharat, the Arabic word for “spices,” is a blend that includes the likes of coriander, cumin, black peppercorns, and cardamom. It’s commonly used in Middle Eastern cooking for everything from roasted meats and stews to salads and curries.
Prep and toast the almonds
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
- Measure out ½ teaspoon baharat. Set aside the rest for the carrots.
While the almonds toast, prepare the carrots.
Prep and cook the carrots
- Scrub or peel the carrots and trim off the ends; cut the carrots lengthwise into quarters, then on the diagonal into 2-inch lengths.
While the carrots cook, prepare the lamb patties.
Prep and cook the lamb patties
- Cut a small corner from the ground lamb packaging and drain off any excess liquid. Transfer to a plate; pat dry with a paper towel.
- Coarsely chop the cilantro; set aside half for the salad.
In the same pan used for the carrots, warm 2 to 3 teaspoons oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the patties and cook until browned and cooked through, 3 to 5 minutes per side. Transfer to a plate.
While the lamb patties cook, prepare the salad.
Make the salad
- Remove any pulp from the preserved lemon; finely chop the peel.
Nutrition per serving: Nutrition per serving: Protein: 37g (74% DV), Fiber: 9g (36% DV), Total Fat: 62g (95% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 24g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 8g, Saturated Fat: 33g (165% DV), Cholesterol: 95mg (32% DV), Sodium: 880mg (37% DV), Carbohydrates: 32g (11% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: tree nuts, eggs