Quinoa-chickpea salad with tomatoes and lemon-tahini dressing
Lean & Clean, Gluten Free, Vegetarian, Dairy Free, Soy Free
20 – 30 Minutes
Chickpeas and quinoa pack a one-two protein punch in this warm Mediterranean salad, topped with fresh mint and our lemony house-made tahini dressing.
- ½ cup rainbow quinoa
- 2 tablespoons currants
- 2 tablespoons sherry vinegar
- 1 cup cooked chickpeas
- 1 summer squash
- 3 tablespoons roasted almonds
- Mediterranean spice blend (sumac - coriander - cumin)
- ⅓ cup peas
- 1 cucumber
- 2½ ounces cherry tomatoes
- 1 lemon
- Fresh mint
- 2 ounces baby arugula
- Sun Basket lemon-tahini dressing (tahini - fresh garlic - lemon juice - salt)
Cook the quinoa
- In a fine-mesh strainer, rinse the quinoa.
While the quinoa cooks, prepare the currants, chickpeas, and squash.
Soak the currants; cook the chickpeas and squash
- In a small bowl, combine the currants and sherry vinegar; let soak until ready to toss the salad.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Trim the ends from the summer squash; cut the squash in half lengthwise, then crosswise into thin half-moons.
- Coarsely chop the almonds.
While the squash cooks, prepare the remaining salad ingredients.
Prep the remaining salad ingredients
- Peel the cucumber, if desired, and trim off the ends. Cut in half lengthwise, then crosswise into ¼-inch-thick half-moons.
- Cut the cherry tomatoes in half.
- Juice half the lemon; cut half into wedges for garnish.
- Strip the mint leaves from the stems; coarsely chop the leaves.
Toss the salad
Make It Leaner: Although our tahini dressing is flavorful and nutritious, it’s rich in calories. By using just 1 tablespoon of dressing, you will save 145 calories and 12 grams of fat. Plus, you will have extra to use as a dip for veggies at another time. To increase the volume of the dressing without adding calories, try thinning it out with a bit of water.
Nutrition per serving: Protein: 27g (54% DV), Fiber: 17g (68% DV), Total Fat: 29g (45% DV), Monounsaturated Fat: 13g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 10g, Saturated Fat: 3.5g (18% DV), Cholesterol: 0mg (0% DV), Sodium: 700mg (29% DV), Carbohydrates: 81g (27% DV), Total Sugars: 15g, Added Sugars: 0g (0% DV). Not a significant source of trans fat.
Contains: tree nuts