Sautéed kale with chickpeas and tomato-olive relish
Vegetarian, Gluten Free, Dairy Free, Soy Free, Low Calorie
Chef Justine turns a simple, savory sauté of wilted kale, caramelized onions and chickpeas into a stand-out vegetarian main course with an ingenious, summery relish. It’s got fresh cherry tomatoes for tartness, briny kalamata olives for umami, and salty marcona almonds for crunch.
- 1 yellow onion
- 1 to 2 garlic cloves
- 1¼ cup chickpeas
- ½ pound kale
- ½ teaspoon Aleppo chile (optional)
- 1 cup cherry tomatoes
- ½ cup pitted Kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup marcona almonds
- 1 lemon
- Fresh dill
Prep and cook the kale and chickpea sauté
- Peel the onion, cut it in half lengthwise, and cut each half into thin slices.
- Thinly slice the garlic.
- Rinse the chickpeas.
- Strip the kale leaves from their stems, coarsely chop the leaves, and discard the stems.
Stir in the garlic, chickpeas, and as much of Aleppo pepper as you like, and cook until fragrant, about 30 seconds. Stir in the kale and ¼ cup water and cook until wilted, 5 to 6 minutes. While the kale cooks, prepare and assemble the relish.
Make the tomato-olive relish
- Cut the tomatoes into quarters.
- Coarsely chop the olives and almonds.
- Coarsely chop the dill.
- Zest the lemon and cut it in half; juice one half and cut the remaining half into 4 wedges.
Nutrition per serving: Calories: 620, Protein: 19 g, Total Fat: 37 g, Monounsaturated Fat: 25.5 g, Polyunsaturated Fat: 5.5 g, Saturated Fat: 4 g, Cholesterol: 0 mg, Carbohydrates: 59 g, Fiber: 14 g, Added Sugar: 0 g, Sodium: 980 mg